This may be the most important TED talk I have ever seen – and I have seen many!
In this talk, Seth says he has 8 things, but I captured these specific 11 things that Seth insists we need to do in order to create schools that become incubators for people who live happy, fulfilled, productive, and satisfying lives.
- Homework during the day and lectures and seminars at night
- Open book, open note, all the time – its not about memorization
- Access to any course, anywhere in the world, anytime you want to take it; the end of, “you will learn these things, in this sequence!”. *my note: Its about fueling the natural inclination of children to have fun exploring and discovering the world/universe
- Precise/focused education versus mass/batched
- No more multiple choice exams – they were invented to make scoring easier for test scorers – we have computers to do this better now
- Measuring experience instead of test scores
- The end of COMPLIANCE as an outcome
- Cooperation instead of isolation
- Teacher’s role transforms into Coach
- Life long learning with work happening earlier in life
- The death of the Big Brand “Famous” College – way too expensive just to obtain a “Brand” – it is meaningless today
If you agree with the perspective that Seth Godin expresses in this TED Talk, then the critical question for me and all of us is – what are we going to do about it!
Seth’s is one of 2 daily bogs that I subscribe to, and every day he nails it! This guy is on the pulse!